Paddle Shifter with D9 Paddles
Twist Machine Paddle Shift with D9 Paddles
Get lightning fast shifts using the Twist Machine Paddle Shifter with D9 Paddles that turn your automatic into a paddle-shifted transmission! With a transmitter mounted in the paddle shifter and a receiver that connects to an electronic transmission controller, the paddle shifter offers a signal time of 125 milliseconds – faster than any mechanical manual or automatic floor shifter on the market today.
The paddle shifter's wireless design simplifies installation and allows for easy adaptation to your electronic automatic transmission.
Please read on for details before purchase; complexity varies by application.
Steering Wheel Mounting Style: Splined or Universal
Choose Splined Shaft for 1967-1994 GM spline steering columns, as well as aftermarket steering columns from Ididit and Flaming River. Choose Universal Mount for Ford, Mopar and other non-spline steering columns, as well as racing applications with quick-release hubs; Universal Mount requires an adapter hub from Grant Products (www.grantproducts.com).
Finish: Brushed or Polished
Choose Brushed for the textured look of durable and corrosion-resistant anodic oxide. Choose Polished for our black mirror finish; we polish before anodization for the look of the best hand-rubbed lacquer paint job.
Steering Wheel Adapter: 5-Bolt, 6-Bolt or None
Choose None when pairing the paddle shifter to a 9-bolt wheel, such as LeCarra, Budnik or Billet Specialties. Choose 5-Bolt for Grant steering wheels and 6-Bolt for Sparco and Momo.
The Paddle Shifter Requires:
- Electronic Transmission: The paddle shifter pairs only with electronic automatic transmissions such as a 4L60E, 4L80E, AODE, 4R70W, 4R100 and TCI 6X. Automatic transmissions, such as the 700-R4, TH350, TH400, PG and 2004R, are not compatible with the paddle shifter.
- Mechanical Floor or Column Shifter: The paddle shifter only controls forward gears; a separate mechanical floor or column shifter is required for Park/Reverse/Neutral/Drive.
- Non-Airbag Steering Wheel: The paddle shifter adapts to many non-airbag factory steering wheels, as well as many aftermarket wheels. Choose a 9-bolt wheel, such as LeCarra, Budnik or Billet Specialties; 5- and 6-bolt wheels, such as Sparco, Momo and Grant, require you to select a 5 or 6 bolt adapter.
Your Application May Also Require:
- Aftermarket Transmission Controller: Order a COMPUSHIFT transmission controller for GM and Ford electronic automatics. The paddle shifter is also compatible with controllers from TCI, Powertrain Control Solutions, Holley, Painless Wiring, GMPP and US Shift (Baumann Engineering). Cars equipped with factory manumatic capability (for example, +/- on the floor shifter) do not require an aftermarket transmission controller.
- 3-bolt Adapter Hub or Quick Release Hub: Find the Grant Installation Kit for your application at www.grantproducts.com.
- Steering Wheel Adapter: Order a Steering Wheel Adapter for 5- and 6-bolt wheels, such as Sparco, Momo and Grant.
The paddle shifter sends its signal from a transmitter mounted in the paddle shifter to a receiver that connects to the OEM manumatic or aftermarket electronic transmission controller. The transmission controller actuates the electric shift solenoids that control the forward gears.
1. Bolt Paddle Shifter To Steering Column
The paddle shifter is offered with either a splined shaft or universal mount. The splined shaft fits 1967-1994 GM spline steering columns, as well as aftermarket steering columns from Ididit and Flaming River. For other steering column styles, purchase an adapter from Grant Products (www.grantproducts.com), which fits between the paddle shifter and the steering column.
2. Connect Receiver to Transmission Controller
Some basic electronics skills are required to convert factory-wiring signal.
The paddle shifter receiver accepts basic 12V ground and common wires, and includes screw-down posts to simplify the installation.
Cars equipped with factory manumatic capability (for example, +/- on the floor shifter) do not require an aftermarket transmission controller.
Cars with electronic transmission but without factory manumatic capability require an aftermarket transmission controller. We offer COMPUSHIFT controllers for GM and Ford electronic automatics. The paddle shifter is also compatible with controllers from TCI, Powertrain Control Solutions, Holley, Painless Wiring, GMPP and US Shift (Baumann Engineering).
3. Bolt Paddle Shifter To Steering Wheel
The paddle shifter pairs with relatively flat 9-bolt billet wheels, such as LeCarra, Budnik and Billet Specialties; 5- and 6-bolt wheels, such as Sparco, Momo and Grant, require an adapter between the paddle shifter and steering wheel. Click above to choose the appropriate Steering Wheel Adapter when ordering.
NOTE: The paddle shifter does NOT work with airbag steering wheels. On vehicles factory-equipped with airbag steering wheels, paddle shifters should only be installed for racing applications.